Comedians Benoît Delépine and Gustave Kervern, who wrote, directed and co-star in this irreverent road movie, show a distinct flair for understated physical comedy and defiantly "politically incorrect" humor. Rural neighbors who hate each other come to blows one day on a farm and get tangled up in an agricultural tractor, leaving them both paralyzed, wheelchair-bound and simmering with spite. But rather than feel sorry for themselves, the embittered paraplegics decide to seek revenge against the tractor's manufacturer. They take to the road, redirecting their frustrations with their plights towards the people they meet on the way to Helsinki. Captured in sharp black-and-white Cinemascope photography that complements its exquisite Tati-like sight gags, AALTRA undermines conventional attitudes toward the disabled with its dry wit and acerbic, vengeful characters. Look for some recognizable cameos, including famous Finnish director Aki Kaurismäki.
Cast & Crew
- Dada Avrel - Le kiné
- Jan Bucquoy - L'amant
- Pierre Carles - Le médecine
- Jean-Michel Carlier - Ambulancier bavard
- Gerard Condejean - Le Chinois
- Isabelle Delépine - L'épouse
- Benoît Delépine - L'employé
- Laurent Galvez - Ambulancier muet
- Michel de Gavre - Le paysan
- Pierre Ghenassia - Le patron
- Aki Kaurismäki - Le patron Aaltra
- Gustave de Kervern - L'ouvrier agricole
- Fred Martin - Le collègue
- Céline Normand - Infirmière
- Benoît Poelvoorde - L'amateur de moto-cross
Reviews(see the best reviews)
Excellent film. I was squeamish at first, because of the topic, but the humor was wholesome and thought provoking. Five thumbs up!
Great film! For lovers of awkward and subtle dry humor.
Hillbillies are us. Idiots Are we. Kinda dumb.
Have bond tragic situations unfold the road to follow to redemption.
Surprised how much I chuckled at this. Deadpan humor at its deadest.