Joel McCrea brings law and order to the range in STRANGER ON HORSEBACK. McCrea portrays a circuit judge Richard Thorne, who comes to a small western town in the course of making his rounds. There he finds the town and surrounding area under the feudal thumb of an old-line family headed by Josiah Bannerman (John McIntire). Despite wholehearted opposition and obstacles, Thorne fingers Bannerman's spoiled son, Tom (Kevin McCarthy) for murder and smokes out the necessary frightened witnesses and defies the whole clan by seeing that justice is done. In doing so he even wins the grudging respect of the old cattle baron, gains the love of the latter's strong-willed niece, Amy (Miroslava Stern) and awakens the sheriff (Emile Meyer) to a new sense of duty.
Cast & Crew
- Walter Baldwin - Vince Webb
- John Carradine - Col. Buck Streeter
- Robert O. Cornthwaite - Arnold Hammer
- Nancy Gates - Caroline Webb
- Jaclynne Greene - Paula Morrison
- George Keymas - Bannerman's Henchman
- Emmett Lynn - Barfly
- Kevin McCarthy - Tom Bannerman
- Joel McCrea - Judge Richard Thorne
- John McIntire - Josiah Bannerman
- Emile Meyer - Sheriff Nat Bell
- Roy Roberts - Sam Kettering
- Miroslava Stern - Amy Lee Bannerman
Reviews(see the best reviews)
Very nice. It's a shame that Miroslava Stern didn't appear in many US-market movies before her early passing.
Emjoyable. I would have preferred a bit of trial however. We don't really know it turned out.
These are the type of westerns ,i enjoy watching when i can't sleep.