Winner of five awards at the 2003 Polish Film Festival (and five others at the 2004 Polish Film Awards).
From the uniformly excellent acting to the subtle manner in which the story is handled, this is masterful filmmaking. In Warsaw, 1943, Witold meets the cultivated Fryderyk at a salon and they become friends. He takes Fryderyk with him to the country estate of Hipolit, Maria and Henia, their teenage daughter. Fryderyk embarks on a game to engineer the cuckolding of Waclaw, Henia's fiancé, by Karol, a youth in the household. Meanwhile, war intrudes on the country idyll. The local guerrilla commander seems to lose his grip. A murder happens at the estate. Rumors that the war may end soon don't halt deadly turns. What is Fryderyk's nature and what has shaped it? Adapted from the celebrated novel by Witold Gombrowicz.
Cast & Crew
- Anna Baniowska - Servant Weronika
- Grażyna Błęcka-Kolska - Maria
- Grzegorz Damiecki - Waclaw Paszkowski
- Adam Ferency - Witold
- Jan Frycz - Siemian
- Krzysztof Globisz - Hipolit
- Irena Laskowska - Amelia, Waclaw's mother
- Krzysztof Majchrzak - Fryderyk
- Kazimierz Mazur - Karol
- Magdalena Różczka - Sitting Room Landlady
- Sandra Samos - Henia
- Jan Urbanski - Skuziak