"To watch F.W. Murnau's NOSFERATU is to see the vampire movie before it had really seen itself." - Roger Ebert
An unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's DRACULA, NOSFERATU is the quintessential silent vampire film, crafted by legendary German director F. W. Murnau. Rather than depicting Dracula as a shape-shifting monster or debonair gentleman, Murnau's Graf Orlok (as portrayed by Max Schreck) is a nightmarish, spidery creature of bulbous head and taloned claws, perhaps the most genuinely disturbing incarnation of vampirism yet envisioned.
Cast & Crew
- Gustav Botz - Professor Sievers
- Karl Etlinger - Matrose 3
- John Gottowt - Professor Bulwer
- Alexander Granach - Knock
- Wolfgang Heinz - Zweiter Kapitän
- Ruth Landschoff - Annie
- Max Nemetz - Käpitän der Demeter
- Fanny Normann - Krankenschwester im Hospital
- Georg H. Schnell - Harding
- Max Schreck - Count Orlok
- Greta Schröder - Ellen Hutter
- Albert Venohr - Matrose 1
- Eric van Viele - Matrose 2
- Gustav von Wangenheim - Hutter
- Heinrich Witte - Wärter im Irrenhaus
Reviews(see the best reviews)
The superb quality of this restoration and music selection made watching this classic all the more enjoyable.
This is the 2013 Kino Lorber restoration, with a superb orchestration of the original score (something of a rarity in restorations of silent films). So we Fandor members are lucky. A must see for anyone interested in the history of film; for one thing, as Roger Ebert pointed out, Murnau is credited with one of the first influential uses of montage. And horror fans, well, you really shouldn't miss it for any reason. The visual tropes we're all familiar with from Dracula movies? Murnau came up with a lot of them first.
Looking forward to Herzog's "Nosferatu" next (also on Fandor).
I like this one! <3 Bravo! xD
It,s oy! says Bruno in Love!
Roger Ebert has it right . . . but see not Herzog's remake, Nosferatu the Vampyre but John Malkovich as F. W. Murnau in Shadow of the Vampire.
Best silent scary movie by far its one of my favorites!
Awesome movie you have to see it!
A film that should not be left off anyone's "Must See" list.